Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Monument Recordings (1964)


According to Graeme Thomson, Willie left Liberty Records in 1964 and recorded two sessions with Monument. Like the Pamper demos and recordings, these songs do not show up on the major compilations that I have found except for one song: “I Never Cared for You,” which shows up on The Essential Willie Nelson (Disc One). Thomson calls this Willie’s “most distinctive and successful recording of the entire 60s” (page 64). If this is true, why does no one include it in their compilations? And what of the rest of the Monument recordings? Fred Foster produced a session on July 6, 1964. Willie recorded three songs. One of which was “”(There’ll Be) Someone Waiting For You.” I haven’t found a recording of this yet. Three weeks later, Foster produced another session with a much smaller band and fewer bells and whistles. “I Never Cared For You” was recorded in that session, but I have no idea what other recordings were made at that time. Seems like someone needs to release these babies or tell me where I can find them.

2 comments:

  1. Bear Family released them on Disc One of their 1998 box set, "Nashville Was The Roughest."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I finally bit the bullet and bought that collection, so I found them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete